Evaluation: Box

My box
I was extremely proud of my box as it locked and unlocked correctly and looked professional, however there were compromises that I also had to take in order to finish the project in the time frame given. 

These included:
  • Having a three digit password as the keypad as it would only accept three digits as inputs even after changing the password in the code (as originally I wanted to have the answers to the questions be the password to the box)
  • Painting the box using the appropriate primer and vanishes so that it doesn't get scratched or bashed and is protected but I was restricted on time with the box and therefore only used acrylic paint
  • Using LED holders for the LED's so that they sit in the holes better and do not move around as the delivery would have been unpredictable and would have taken a while
  • Finding a way to minimise wires - I was considering making or buying another box to but my Arduino etc. inside however I did not have enough time
  • Securing the servo motor and hook in a much more professional way

As you can see I fastened my servo motor and hook using a makeshift approach

Unfortunately my hook wasn't able to catch the servo motor at first and therefore wouldn't latch. I discovered that this was because my hook sat too far back on the box. I couldn't move my servo motor forward anymore for it to latch onto the hook - otherwise it wouldn't be able to turn (scraping the side of the box). Therefore,my only choice was to move my hook forward. I did this by layering a number of pieces of cardboard together by gluing/taping them and attached them onto the hook so that the servo motor would latch.

Once my servo motor was adjusted and in the correct place, I didn't want it to move - as it may have not latched after I had secured it permanently in place. Therefore I used a glue gun to attach the servo motor to the box while it was being held by white-tac.

Although this method worked, a different method could have been used so that the internal elements of the box looked more professional rather than glued in this way.


Servo Motor glued to box


Hook attached to cardboard and glued to box

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unity Project 4: Ball platformer game

[Research] Traditional Poster Design (4CTA1214)