Independent Learning Journey - Workfest 2018: The Graduate Recruitment and Placements Fair

I attended the Graduate Recruitment and Placements Fair at the University of Hertfordshire.


At the Workfest there were three companies that Jo recommended we speak with, as they were interested in students studying Digital Media Design.

These companies included:
  • DMS (http://www.dmsukltd.com/)
DMS were looking for students in all different courses. The position that related most to my course was applying to be a motion graphic designer. This fits really well with the course because of our upcoming motion graphic live brief with Ocado. DMS wanted individuals with basic knowledge of Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro, which I will be learning within the next few months. They stated that they were unsure whether they were accepting internships/placements, but if they were; they would be publicised in January.


DMS' Contact Details
  • Salmon Limited (https://www.salmon.com/en/)
I had quite a negative experience with Salmon. 
I immediately got the impression that they were only interested in graduates and clearly didn't offer any type of placement. They explained that after I graduate, I could apply for a web design or UX position and gave me some advice on what content to add to my portfolio. However unfortunately they didn't seem too friendly and I didn't like the general vibe I received while speaking to them which has honestly put me off applying.
  • Sopra banking Software (https://www.soprabanking.com/welcome​)
Sopra Banking were an IT company providing financial solutions to banks. 
On there graduate programme, they advertised for UX Design professionals. Although they didn't openly advertise that they offer placements, they asked me to write down my contact details and state that I'm looking for a placement. However, after speaking with them I am unsure that this role is what I am interested in.

Sopra Banking leaflet and map of stalls

I felt as though this Workfest was very graduate-oriented instead of having a mixture of both placement and graduate opportunities; which was unfortunate. Hopefully, the Creative Arts Fair will be held again as this would probably be more useful for me than today's Workfest.


I received a stamp for attending this fair.

Stamp 7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logo Design

Bootstrap Template