Unity VS Unreal

Both Unity and Unreal are used in the gaming industry and both have the capability of producing AAA quality games. Therefore, I have decided to use Unity instead of Unreal due to:

  • Having more experience using Unity. 
I have used this game engine to create a 3D gamespace during a previous gaming assignment, as I already have experience in creating a game in 3D, I wanted to attempt creating a 2D game in this engine.
  • I prefer Unity's interface and find this easier to use than Unreal.
During the Unreal workshop, I found using this engine difficult and hard to follow. However, this may have been due to the way it was taught and the amount of time we had to go through the mechanics during the workshop.
  • I found it difficult to grasp the concept of blueprints in Unreal as I am used to writing code.
The Unreal workshop was lead by an ex 3D modelling student who had a lot of experience using Maya and other modelling software. Therefore we went over blueprints during this session rather than writing code. Although this enabled us to produce something quickly, I wasn't able to understand this way of thinking. With further resarch I discovered that you can write C++ in Unreal however with no prior experience I decided that using Unity would be the best way in gaining a good final result.

On reflection if I had more time or more workshop sessions learning Unreal, I may have decided to use this engine because I have never used it before. This knowledge may have been useful for my career however I have no aspirations in joining the gaming industry or becoming a game developer and therefore chose the gaming engine I was most comfortable with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unity Project 4: Ball platformer game

[Research] Traditional Poster Design (4CTA1214)